Sunday, November 19, 2006

Springs In The Valley

The psalmist wrote, “Blessed in the man whose strength is in You, whose heart is set on pilgrimage. As they pass through the valley of Baca, they make it a spring; the rain also covers it with pools. They go from strength to strength; each one appears before God in Zion.” – Psalm 84:5-7 (NKJV)

The phrase “whose heart is set on pilgrimage” refers to those who made their way to the temple, not out of obligation but from a heartfelt desire to worship their God. Today, those of us who are Christ followers are on a journey, a pilgrimage. There will be trials along the way. That’s guaranteed!

The valley of Baca doesn’t refer to a specific place but speaks of the various struggles and difficulties we will encounter on the way “home”. We can either choose to whine and complain or to grow and mature through our trials and tribulations. The blessing of an eternal, sovereign God rests upon the latter, those whose heart is “set” or determined to make the best of the journey.

What’s your state of mind, your attitude, today, as you make your way “home”? Experience God’s divine strength as you walk hand in hand with Him. He will keep you from stumbling!

4 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

This touched me tonight when I read it because of the "trial" I am experiencing right now with my mom. However, I have fervently prayed, not that the Lord would take this trial away and make her all better (which would be wonderful), but rather, He would help me to endure through it to its finished end, whether that be full recovery for mom or she goes Home. My heart has no desire to miss what He is showing me through this season of role reversal.

When I had my two strokes 4 yrs ago, I could not drive for 90 days and at the onset I was just devestated at the thought of beng "confined". Oh, what a surprise was in store for me!! A gift from the Lord as I spent every day at home with Him. My life simplified, my time with Him expanded. I would go through my strokes all over again to have learned what I did during that period of time as I sat at His feet.

Saija said...

2 blessings, in one!
first your devotional, David ...
then Claire's comment ...
i knew the Lord wanted me to stop here for a reason!

:o)

Terry said...

Dear David..It IS such a rest whenever I stop here and read your postings and also the comments.
It is like an oasis in the dessert for sure!

Surely we ALL need those springs in the valley more than we ever have!...From Terry

Pilot mom, I think of your dear mom everyday and am praying for her... and you!

Pilot Mom said...

Bless you, Terry! We appreciate any prayers on our behalf.