Sunday, December 17, 2006

Half Forgiven or Fully Pardoned?

Lately I’ve been marveling at the extent of God’s forgiveness. When did you last tell someone that they were partially forgiven? You forgave them for 1/3 of what they did but they will have to indefinitely carry the guilt and shame of the other 2/3? If we don’t treat others this way, how much more forgiving must our Father be!

I’ve been considering a particular phrase that the prophet Isaiah penned so long ago. He urged the wicked sinner to forsake his waywardness and turn to the Lord. The wording used in the King James Version is “abundantly pardon”. That’s God’s response to our confession and repentance! There’s no stinted measure of forgiveness there! It’s full and complete pardon!

Horatio G. Spafford, after losing his daughters at sea, wrote the lyrics to one of the most beloved hymns of all time, It Is Well With My Soul. Revel with me as you read (and sing along perhaps) the third stanza: “My sin – O, the bliss of this glorious tho’t- My sin – not in part, but the whole, Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!” Half-forgiven? NO! They’ve been cast into the sea of God’s forgetfulness, never to be remembered against us again . . . no more. (Note the double negative).

Be encouraged today, dear friend! Rejoice in the Father’s undeserved and unreserved pardon!

“Let the wicked forsake His way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts, and let him return unto the Lord, and He will have mercy upon him; and to our God; for He will abundantly pardon.” – Isaiah 55:7 (KJV)

1 comment:

Terry said...

Dear David...It was worth waiting for these three postings.
They are just so precious!
Today during the morning worship meeting one of the men was praying.
He mentioned in his prayer about when God wanted so bad to send someone to earth to save us poor lost sinners and He asks,"Who will I send?" and then that loving voice echoed down the halls of heaven and said.."Here am I.
Send ME!!"
Oh David sometimes it just srikes a note in our hearts when we hear something like this and it just brings out the worship from our inner most soul.
I thought that this would be something that you would really enjoy to hear!
Even yet it is filling my eyes with tears when I think of how much Jesus loves me and why He really came to earth as a baby,grew to be a Man and then died on the cross to wash all of my sins away, and now He is in heaven preparing a place for me..Oh the thrill of it all David.....From Terry