Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Little Things

First of all let me thank you, my readers, for the kind, encouraging comments that you have left on the Barnabas Blog site. I truly enjoy writing these short devotional thoughts and I am blessed as I make these entries.

Recently several incidents have reminded me that the simplest gestures can make a huge difference in someone's day and even in their eternal destiny.

Last week I sat down beside one of the many rookies on the Peterborough Petes hockey club. We were just sitting outside the dressing room a couple of hours before a big game. He was about to tape his stick and asked me if I wanted to do it. I declined, fearing that I might not do it "right". I took his stick though just to feel how light it was and to check the curve on the blade. Another rookie sat down on the other side of me and asked it I wanted to "see" his stick. I took it, looked it over and handed it back. He told me that he would now be able to get his first OHL goal. Am I superstitious? NO, but many of these athletes are.

During this exchange with two, young, American draft picks I was able to encourage them, show interest in their game and share Christ's love. They were encouraged but I was more so, I think.

This morning I ordered my large Tim Hortons coffee (I take mine black by the way) in the drive-thru and the attendant had such a cheery disposition. When I drove ahead to pick up my morning picker-upper I thanked the lady for being so positive and refreshing. She thanked me and seemed genuinely pleased that I took the time to give her some affirmation.

A teller at our bank has been going through a rough time lately and I've been writing cards, leaving notes and praying for her. One of her workmates is a Christian young lady who attends our church and between us we've been trying to carry this woman's burdens. Yesterday she thanked me profusely for walking with her through this dark valley.

ENCOURAGEMENT! We all need it! We can all give it! So, let's do it!

As Paul wrote to the Romans, "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully." - Romans 12:3-8 (NIV)

Be an encouragement to someone today, dear friend! The little things can mean a lot!

2 comments:

susanwalkergirl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
susanwalkergirl said...

Dear David,

Indeed...we truly must try to be the encourager in people's lives. There are so many hurting souls out there and it's amazing how God can use a simple encounter to build up and uplift someone. Sometimes at a very critical time in their life...we don't know it...but God does.