Thursday, January 25, 2007

Fears and Doubts

Greetings, friends. Thanks for your visit. I trust that you will be refreshed as you take a moment here. May this be an oasis in the midst of a hectic day...or evening.

Elisabeth Elliot in her book, Secure in the Everlasting Arms quotes Thomas Carlyle who commented, "Doubt of any sort cannot be removed except by action." Elliot adds, "There is wonderful therapy in taking oneself by the scruff of the neck, getting up, and doing something. While you are doing, time passes quickly. Time itself will in some measure heal, and "light arises in the darkness" - slowly, it seems but certainly."

She continues, "I myself have been hauled out of the Slough of Despond by following the advice of the simple Saxon in an old English parsonage: 'Doe the nexte thynge'."

Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from heaven,
Time, opportunity, guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrows, child of the King -
Trust them with Jesus. Do the next thing!

Whatever is happening today, know that as a believer, a follower of "the Way", you are secure in the everlasting arms."

"The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms." - Deuteronomy 33:27 (NIV)

2 comments:

jel said...

Fears , and Doubts, I've a lot !

but took them to Jesus, and left them there! :)

have a great day David!

Terry said...

Dear David...When I read this just now, I brougt to my mind this verse.
I was at a bible and prayer meeting several years ago at the Grimbsy Gospel Hall and read this scripture that was hanging on the wall...first time I ever saw it,

Deut. 33:12
"The beloved of the Lord shall dwell in safety by him; and the Lord shall cover him all the day long, and he shall dwell between his shoulders."

How secure is that, eh?
I guess even amidst all of our doubting and fears, we are STILL on His shoulders!
We can't doublt ourselves off of them,but it sure would be nice if we were happy about it and not be doubting so much!!.....From Terry

I am with Jel...I have had a lot doubts and fears and the only way to get rid of them is to cast them on Jesus!