Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Hidden Cross

This morning as I was leaving work at Christian Horizons I turned onto our main street and, for the first time ever (I think), noticed the steeple of St. Peter's Church towering above the trees. The church is many blocks away but the steeple with a cross at the top of the downtown church is very visible from the north end of town.

As I drove down into the city, the steeple became hidden from view. There were too many other "things" in the way in our hectic downtown area. Gradually the cross had become hidden by those "things". You know the point I'm going to make don't you!

The cross of Christ should be the central focus of our lives as believers. The apostle Paul wrote, "But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ." - Galatians 6:14

All too often we become busy with less important things and the cross fades from view.

The hymnwriter so aptly wrote:

Jesus, keep me near the cross,
There a precious fountain
Free to all, a healing stream
Flows from Calvary’s mountain.

Refrain:

In the cross, in the cross,
Be my glory ever;
Till my raptured soul shall find
Rest beyond the river.

Near the cross, a trembling soul,
Love and mercy found me;
There the bright and morning star
Sheds its beams around me.

Near the cross! O Lamb of God,

Bring its scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day,
With its shadows o’er me.

Near the cross I’ll watch and wait

Hoping, trusting ever,
Till I reach the golden strand,
Just beyond the river.

Dear friends, don't let the busyness of life and the obsession with "things" hide the cross from view.

I just thought of a verse of another hymn as I finish this post...

"In the cross of Christ I glory, towering o'er the wrecks of time.
All the light of sacred story, gathers round its head sublime."

1 comment:

susanwalkergirl said...

Oh Dear David,

This one spoke to me on a couple of levels. First it came to mind...when I drive to Kindred Community Church...the first thing I see in the horizon is the cross on the hill. You can't miss it at night...when it's all lit up.

Secondly...I've been letting things, petty, meaningless things...block my view of the cross. The cross on which my Savior died...for me no less.

Thank you for that gentle reminder. I feel like God had this post in mind for specifically for me.

Thank you dear friend. By the way...I just love this website!

Susan