Sunday, March 18, 2007

Thorns

While reading the book, Suffering and the Sovereignty of God, edited by John Piper and Justin Taylor (Crossway Books) I came across the following poem by Martha Snell Nicholson. I had read some of her work in the past but this one entitled The Thorn was new to me.

I share it with the prayer that each of us would look beyond the obvious and apparent and trust that God is allowing everything (the thorns and trials) to shape us into the image of His dear Son.

THE THORN

I stood a mendicant* of God before His royal throne
And begged Him for a priceless gift, which I could call my own.
I took the gift from out His hand, but as I would depart
I cried, “But Lord, this is a thorn and it has pierced my heart.
This is a strange, a hurtful gift that Thou hast given me.
He said, “My child, I give good gifts and give my best to thee.”
I took it home and though at first the cruel thorn hurt sore;
As long years passed I learned at last to love it more and more.
I learned He never gives a thorn without this added Grace.
He takes the thorn to pin aside the veil which hides His face.

- Martha Snell Nicholson

* a mendicant is a beggar. The term is also used of those
who set aside all earthly comforts to follow God iimplicitly.

What might God be using your present thorn for?

Trust Him, dear friends! His purposes are always good!

No comments: