Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Meaningful Touch

Many years ago I read the book, The Blessing, by John Trent. Since then I have taught others the Biblical concept of passing on "the blessing". Our Jewish friends are particularly adept at doing this. We could take a lesson from these dear people.

One of John Trent's methods of blessing others is "meaningful touch". Last winter on my Pilgrim Scribblings blog I talked about how one of our Peterborough Petes hockey players would always skate back to our goalie and tap his pads with his stick. There was a profound message in those taps. "Don't worry buddy, we'll get that one back" or "fantastic save, my friend"! Check out that post here.

Recently I received a comment from a friend telling me of how she forgave someone who, in his carelessness, allowed a bad situation to take place. Her act of forgiveness began with a
"meaningful touch". Let's allow her to tell the story:

He was crushed, David. I reached out and touched his forearm and said, "J, it was a terrible thing which happened but let's all learn from this so it doesn't happen again. You are forgiven. How could we not forgive you when Christ has forgiven us of so much."

I'm sure that touch on his forearm meant the world to that man!

Today you might have the opportunity to extend a blessing, or forgiveness, or just a touch of encouragement. It might begin with "meaningful touch". Take advantage of the opportunity the Lord gives you. Not only will the recipient be blessed but you will also.

Have a great day...and be encouraged!

"Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." - John 13:17 (NIV)

No comments: