Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Stretcher Bearers

This morning I picked up a book from my library that I hadn't perused for many years. I forgot I even had the book. It is entitled, STRETCHER BEARERS. The subtitle reads, "Practicing and Receiving the Gift of Encouragement and Support". The book was published by Regal Books back in 1985 and may even be out of print now.

The author, Michael Slater, takes the title from Mark's gospel account (chapter 2) of the four stretcher bearers who lowered the paralytic man through the roof so he could encounter the Healer, Jesus Christ.

We don't know the names of these four men but they were certainly used by God to bring relief to their paralyzed friend.

Slater begins his book with this challenge:

People who hurt are people on stretchers.
To hurt is bad enough,
but to hurt alone
destroys people
physically, mentally and spiritually.
The knowledge of this truth has led me to
engage in this practical ministry called
stretcher bearing - the ministry of
encouragement and support.
It means so much to me, and I want it
to mean as much to you.
So grab a handle.
Grab a handle?
That's right. Grab a handle. Let's get started.
Who? Me?
Yes, you! Okay, lift!
But how?
How? have you never been a stretcher bearer before?
No. Do I even have the potential
to grab the handle of someone's stretcher?
Yes, if you believe in the concept of stretcher bearing.
What are your feelings about being a stretcher bearer?
I don't know for sure.
Let's talk about it.

- Michael Slater

What about you, dear friend? Will you come alongside a friend today? Will you lift him/her up? I've already reaped the benefits of having stretcher bearers close by. My two office colleagues, Mark and David, prayed with me this morning and assured me of their support and prayers as I visit my family doctor later in the day.

Will you get involved?

Will you be a stretcher bearer?

I hope so for His name's sake!

4 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

Last night, sitting in the dining room of the care center with my mom, the young man came in who was the aide who left her unattended during this last terrible fall.

He saw us sitting at the table and had to walk right past us to get to the kitchen area. He was so downcast, so...pitiful. His eyes met mine and he said, "I'm so, so, so sorry. I never meant for that to happen."

He was crushed, David. I reached out and touched his forearm and said, "J, it was a terrible thing which happened but let's all learn from this so it doesn't happen again. You are forgiven. How could we not forgive you when Christ has forgiven us of so much."

His look was so startled! But the gratefulness he felt almost oozed out from every pore in his body. I pray he will think about that and maybe, just maybe, want to know more.

If you think about him, lift him up before our King, would you? :)

Thanks ever so much, dear Brother.

Terry said...

Oh Pilot mom that is so beautiful!!
Just like when Jesus said, "Forgive them they know not what they do" and just like he healed with the touch of his hand, that man's ear that one of the disciples had cut off..

That loving touch that you gave that young man, Pilot mom, he will never forget!
I wouldn't doubt that he will keep an extra special eye on you dear mom now even when you are not there!
And through it all he might even end up getting saved!.....From Terry

Terry said...

Dear David...One of my favorite songs that "Greater Vision" sings is "My Name is Lazarus".
If you listen to the words of that song about the four that are carrying the ill man to Jesus on the stretcher , it is just so fantastic!
Coming from the pen of Rodney Griffin... You can just see and feel the compassion and the love of these men towards the man that is laying on the stretcher and know their determination on getting the lad to Jesus!!

David, I really think that this is going ot be a good blog!!....Love Terry

jel said...

Hi David,
I to think you going to have a winner here!
God Bless

and Hi Terry,
I love the song too, heared it to day!
blessings
huggs