Monday, December 18, 2006

Deep Despondency

The following quote, taken from Elizabeth Skoglund's book, Bright Days, Dark Nights, was a blessing to me. If the Prince of Preachers, Charles Haddon Spurgeon, battled depression, we shouldn't think it unjust that God would allow us to go through similar trials. The sorrows we experience are not wasted. A sovereign God will use these dark times in our lives to equip us to minister to others who tread the same path. Be encouraged today! He knows the path that you take!

Spurgeon wrote:

“I often feel very grateful to God that I have undergone fearful depression of spirits. I know the borders of despair, and the horrible brink of that gulf of darkness into which my feet have almost gone; but hundreds of times I have been able to give a helpful grip to brethren and sisters who have come into that same condition, which grip I could never have given if I had not know their deep despondency. So I believe that the darkest and most dreadful experience of a child of God will help him to be a fisher of men if he will but follow Christ. Keep close to your Lord and He will make every step a blessing to you.”

Charles Haddon Spurgeon, from The Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit 32 (1886)


Click HERE to check out Elizabeth Skoglund's site!

3 comments:

Terry said...

As you know David, Robert Spurgeon is my hero.
I have never read this about him and when I finally took the time just now to read your posting I really have enjoyed it.
Mr. Spurgeon is so right that he would have the understanding of someone that is going through the same kind of despondency as he, himself. He would not just be comforting and encouraging with empty words.

I will never forget the time that one of the preachers, Mr. Norris who was a full time brethern gospel preacher, told us about the time that he got a really bad case of the shingles. He was in such extreme pain that he used to lie on the floor in utter agony, with his clenched fists hitting at the floor.
During one of these times it came into his mind.."This is just a little of the pain that a person must feel in hell. I must remember never to forget this and to preach accordingly about the place that poor sinners are heading to and will be in if they do not get saved in this life."
He always WAS a powerful preacher but he became even more so in his latter life.

Another good posting David...Somehow I suspect that you, yourself have gone through some pretty strong testing times.

susanwalkergirl said...

Amen, amen and amen. I concur with you, Terry and Charles Hadden Spurgeon himself. It is ever so comforting to know that God can redeem or pain and trials and bring good out of them. That knowledge does bring comfort even in the midst of a trail or difficult circumstance.

Love the Barnabas blog David. Not enough encouragement this side of heaven. Keep it coming!

Lord bless...Susan

Terry said...

Some hero Mr. Spurgeon is to me Susan Walker..Didn't even get the first name right but I know that David will back me up on this...I was just way too busy partying at Saija's house warming and my mind was tired although the posting still was good for me!!

Good morning David Fisher...Hope everything is going well for you today...Of course YOU must be tired too, what with all the rukus you were causing on the Pilgrim Scribblings and Thro' a Glass Darkly, yesterday and through the night. ........from Terry