Sunday, January 07, 2007

God's Providential Care

Rebecca at Rebecca Writes (see link at the side), always posts a majestic and meaningful old hymn on Sundays. Today's choice is one of my favorites. As I went over the lyrics I realized that there's a word in there that is unknown to me. I could hazard a guess as to its meaning but I really don't know what "thralldom" means. What do you think? I'll post my suggested meaning and then look it up later. Now that can be dangerous! I think "thralldom" means the act of being enthralled with things that, looked at from an eternal perspective, are quite meaningless. Now I'll go and check it out. I'll keep you guessing though. Do you have a dictionary nearby?

Here's that wonderful hymn:

GUIDE ME O THOU GREAT JEHOVAH

Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah,
Pilgrim through this barren land.
I am weak, but Thou art mighty;
Hold me with Thy powerful hand.
Bread of Heaven, Bread of Heaven,
Feed me till I want no more;
Feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,
Whence the healing stream doth flow;
Let the fire and cloudy pillar
Lead me all my journey through.
Strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer,
Be Thou still my Strength and Shield;
Be Thou still my Strength and Shield.

Lord, I trust Thy mighty power,

Wondrous are Thy works of old;
Thou deliver’st Thine from thralldom,
Who for naught themselves had sold:
Thou didst conquer, Thou didst conquer,
Sin, and Satan and the grave,
Sin, and Satan and the grave.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,
Bid my anxious fears subside;
Death of deaths, and hell’s destruction,
Land me safe on Canaan’s side.
Songs of praises, songs of praises,
I will ever give to Thee;
I will ever give to Thee.

Musing on my habitation,
Musing on my heav’nly home,
Fills my soul with holy longings:
Come, my Jesus, quickly come;
Vanity is all I see;
Lord, I long to be with Thee!
Lord, I long to be with Thee!

- William Williams, known as the Isaac Watts* of Wales. This hymn was first written in Welsh

"For this God is our God for ever and ever; He will be our guide even to the end." - Psalm 48:14 (NIV)

1 comment:

Terry said...

David...I didn't know what it meant either. How is it that in so many of these lovely hymns we sing the words and dont know some of the meanings of certain words?

Anyways..I cheated. I Googled it and Google says that "thralldom" means.. The state of being under the contol of another person.
Does that make sense in the song David? I don't know... Does it mean that after the Lord saves us He delivers us from being under the contol of the world, the flesh and the Devil?...from Terry