Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Overheard in a Coffee Shop

Yesterday I overheard the following exchange in a local coffee shop. It reminded me so much of my "discussions" with the Father.

An elderly man said, "Father why am I going through this terrible circumstance at this point in my life...after all these years. Please help me deal with it."

The Father answered, "My child, my grace is sufficient for you!"

The man responded, "But that's not enough!"

God lovingly and patiently replied (with his voice raised somewhat from his initial response), "My son, what part of SUFFICIENT don't you understand?"

His redeemed child had no answer but turned away, weeping...knowing that what the Father had spoken was true and trustworthy.

I've been in that man's shoes! So have you! We all have!

His grace WILL carry us through the trial, the tribulation, the turmoil, the terrible storm.

"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:9,10 (ESV)

HE GIVETH MORE GRACE

He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase;
To added affliction He addeth His mercy;
To multiplied trials, His multiplied peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources,
Our Father's full giving is only begun.

Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.

His love has no limit; His grace has no measure.
His pow'r has no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus,
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again!

- Annie Johnson Flint

No comments: