Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Uppers and Downers

My friend Stephen Weber sends out a Daily Encouragement devotional through his web site @ www.dailyencouragement.net He is such a blessing to many including me. We met several years ago and I sensed his heart for God and his commitment to encourage others.

Here are a few lines from today's devotional entitled Refreshing Others:

"Several years ago I heard a speaker use an interesting illustration of how we impact other people. He spoke of being around those who always take you "up" on the elevator. It's as if being around them is like getting on an Up Elevator. They're energy givers, encouragers, refreshers, who have a powerful way of uplifting. As I consider my long string of friends through life I am blessed to have so many who invite me to go up with them.

Then there are those who have only one button on their elevator; the basement! They're energy drainers who discourage and have a way of sucking the very breath right out of you. And yes, I have also met my share of these as well. (But thankfully not nearly as many.) Getting on the Down Elevator with them is never an "uplifting" experience.

Let me encourage each daily encouragement reader to consider the blessing of having a refreshing spirit. As the Proverb states, "He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." I hope you are blessed by those having this quality today. I also encourage you to conscientiously demonstrate this quality from your heart.

Of so many I can proclaim, "Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints." Today you will interact with others in various settings. May God bless you with those who will encourage and refresh you. May they strengthen you and take you up on the elevator! And may you seek to be that provision today for the weary, discouraged soul whom you meet in the course of this day who is in need of uplift. Today you have a choice; will you be an upper or a downer?"

Check out Stephen's web site @ http://www.dailyencouragement.net

Dear friends, let's refresh those we interact with today! Don't be a downer! May those we relate to sense the presence of the Lord in our lives. May we be like a refreshing stream.

"He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed" (Proverbs 11:25). "Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints" - Philemon 1:7 (NIV)

No comments: