Friday, November 10, 2006

Random Acts of Kindness

Please don't think I'm trying to pat myself on the back when I relate this story. The other morning, while waiting in the drive-through line at Tim Hortons, I decided to pay for whatever the person behind me ordered. Fortunately it was only a large coffee so the extra amount only came to $1.39. I paid for my coffee and for the person behind me and drove off leaving them baffled. I didn't know who it was and they likely didn't have a clue who I was.

Hopefully whoever it was received some encouragement from this random act of kindness. We have countless opportunities on a daily basis to do this. Why not try it more often! We'll never know the impact we might make on a struggling fellow traveler.

Note: I don't have a Bible handy as I post this so I'll paraphrase the following Scripture verse from Paul's letter to the Galatians. "As we have opportunity, let us do good to all men, especially to those who are of the household of faith." - Galatians 6:10 (close to the KJV)

Let's take those opportunities! Today!

2 comments:

Saija said...

i'm chuckling to myself about the person behind you only having a cup of coffee ...

it worked out well for you - obedience ... and also, something that wasn't costly ... maybe if you would have shrugged off this first impulse - the next time you might have had a much larger bill!

i think there is an object lesson there ... :o)

Terry said...

That is so nice David and you are NOT patting yourself on the back either.
You are just encouraging us to do the same thing!

I remember once when Bernie and I were in the cafateria line up at Woolco[yes! before the Macdonald Walmart days!], there were in front of us two little boys and they were buying a pop and chips between them.
Bernie asked them, "Would you EACH like a separate order?"
"Oh sure mister!"
Bernie paid for the whole order.
When we were sitting down enjoying our coffee, a lady came to our table with those two boys to thank us.
"I am so glad you did this!!
Today an adult stole this little guys wallet and these two were so down that a big person could have done such a mean thing to a kid.
You sir, have restored a little faith in them that all adults are not alike! Thank you so much!"

You want to believe it David..I was so proud of my husband!!....from Terry