Thursday, November 09, 2006

Two-Fold Purpose

This morning as I was driving to my office I realized that there's a two-fold purpose to the Barnabas Blog.

1. To encourage struggling, weary Christian pilgrims on their faith journey.

and...

2. To challenge Christians to encourage others at this point in history when encouragement is such a rare commodity.

I was reminded of a quote from Chuck Swindoll who said, "The lack of encouragement is almost an epidemic. To illustrate this point, when did you last encourage someone else? I firmly believe that an individual in never more Christlike than when full of compassion for those who are down, needy, discouraged, or forgotten. How terribly essential is our commintment to encouragement! Encourage generously!" taken from "The Tale of the Tardy Oxcart" by Word Publishing copyright 1998.

And so today dear friends, this is my prayer for you... "That their (your) hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery , which is Christ. In whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." - Colossians 2:2,3 (ESV)

Be encouraged today!

2 comments:

gizmo said...

Great idea, David. Encouragement is something that is definitely missing today and much needed.....You now have 11 readers!!
Giz

Rodney Olsen said...

Let me encourage you. I think this blog is a great idea and something that is desperately needed amongst all the blogs that only focus on pulling others down.

I've subscribed through Bloglines and added a link to my Blog List.

Great stuff.